Another home renovation project in the books! This one was easy breezy and didn't take long at all. I love hearing from friends and followers about how they've been inspired to paint something or knock out a project in their own home after seeing all of my projects lately- that's why I'm here! :)
So far, in the last 6 months, I've painted my kitchen cabinets, painted my dining room, did a concrete overlay on my built-in wet bar, painting my kitchen windows black, and now my patio french doors. Up next: re-seeding the side yard, decorating the patio, and painting the brick fireplace. Too bad I didn't write blog post updates for all of those projects, but sometimes I just want to get it done and not take photos. I wanted to document this project because this door is right next to the fireplace, so when it's all said and done, this wall will look completely different!
First things first: tape! I wanted to use a product called liquid mask but I couldn't get it ordered in time so I decided just to be old school and use tape. This project is a lot of taping, and some people don't tape at all and just use a straight razor to clean up the glass after painting. Choose your preferred method...I went with tape.
I love painting over tile as opposed to carpet because there's less pressure to be clean and any drips can be cleaned up easily. We laid a plastic tarp just in case and had a few drips, so better safe than sorry.
Above is my "in progress" photo. I let the primer dry for about 1 hour before applying my first coat of paint. I usually do one coat of primer and two coats of color. The first coat of black covered pretty well, but the individual window panes were tricky! After letting the first coat dry, I applied the second coat and then used a light to inspect each window pane and go over any spots that needed extra attention. You could also tint your primer to be gray or black but I like the white so I can easily see where I've missed spots.
This is my finished product! You can also see the side patio where we have gathered all of our pots and plants that we are working on this week! I always have more than one project at a time, so I'm happy to have the doors complete so I can move on to the next item on the list! My new fiddle leaf fig bush is in the background in the kitchen, and I can't wait to plant him in that pot (he's just resting in there currently) and find a home for his plant stand!
All in all, this project took about 5 hours from start to finish and makes a huge visual impact! Good luck on your home updates!